Using Smarter Homes
Smarter Homes exists to help you make your home smarter.
You may want just a few brief ideas or you may want a comprehensive overview of a particular subject such as energy efficiency. Whatever level of information you’re after, Smarter Homes aims to provide it. Read on to find out what’s on the site.
No matter who you are, and what your circumstances and budget are, smart home choices can benefit you. For a general introduction to the benefits of smart homes, see:
- Why choose a smart home?
- Why should building and property professionals offer smart homes?
- What can smart homes do for the environment?
- 'Your Guide to a Smarter Home' booklet
Smarter Homes topics
These pages provide information about:
If you’re interested in a particular subject, or a particular stage of the design/building process, or if you’re looking for an overview of smart design and living, check out these pages.
Throughout New Zealand, New Zealanders are already benefiting from smart home choices. Some have made their homes warmer and healthier by insulating. Some have reduced their power bills by installing solar water heating. Some have built new homes or renovations that use smart design to provide a warmer, drier, more comfortable living environment.
To find out more, see case studies.
Checklists & online tools
Smarter Homes’s resources include:
- Checklists - top tips for cutting your power bill, cutting your water bill, buying a property or new home, renovating, maintenance and much, more.
- Online tools & calculators - links to external websites with online tools and calculators relating to home design, energy use, environmental impact, and much more.
Note: the fact that this website links to other sites does not imply endorsement of any information or views expressed on them. See About Smarter Homes for more information about our policy on linking to external sites.
Internet Explorer 6+
- Select Internet Options from the browser's Tools menu
- In Internet Options dialog box select the Security tab
- Click Custom Level at the bottom. The Security Settings dialog box will pop up.
- Under Scripting category enable Active Scripting, Allow paste options via script and Scripting of Java applets
- Click OK twice to close out
- Click Refresh Current Page
- Select Preferences from the browser's Edit menu.
- Click the arrow next to Advanced.
- Click Scripts & Plugins
- Click OK
- Click Reload current page
- Select Preferences from the Safari menu
- Click Security
- Close the window
- Click Reload the current page